7/04/2013

FAMOUS LEMON BARS

I got this recipe out of the July 1999 Country Living magazine. I had never found a lemon bar recipe I loved until this one, and after this one, well, I stopped looking. Not too eggy or lemony. My kids request it for 4th of July, but I like to make it for any summer get-together or pot-luck. Last year I tried placing whole, fresh raspberries onto the batter before baking it. That worked. This recipe is plain and simple creamy lemony goodness. MMMMMmmm.

P.S. This recipe is for a 9x9 pan. I always ALWAYS double this recipe and make an extra thick 9x13 pan or a 9x13 pan AND a 9x9 pan. It makes enough.
Well, there's never enough, ha.

Shortbread Crust:
1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter. I do this in my KitchenAid mixer with the wire whisk and it works fine.
Press mixture in an even layer over bottom of pan. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.

Lemon Filling:
4 eggs
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. fresh squeezed lemon juice (2 large lemons should do it)

Mix ingredients with mixer until well blended and smooth. Pour over crust.

Reduce oven heat to 325. Bake 25-30 minutes longer. Allow to cool 30 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar through a sieve. Cut into squares.


No comments: