9/02/2008

Pantry Suggestions

A sample of brands we use every day.

BAKING/COOKING
Flour, unbleached, no malted barley flour…….Hodgeson Mills, Bob’s Red Mill
Sugar…………………………………………..cane sugar, not beet sugar
Powdered sugar………………………………..cane sugar
Brown sugar……………………………………cane sugar
Salt……………………………………………..sea salt if available
Black pepper
Garlic powder………………………………….not garlic salt
Fresh garlic bulbs
Vegetable oil……………………………………canola
Olive oil
Sesame oil
Crisco
Baking soda
Baking powder
Cocoa powder…………………………………..baking cocoa, not mix, Hersheys, Ghiradelli, Ambrosia
Vanilla
Organic vinegar
SPICES/SEASONINGS
Chili powder……………………………………not taco seasoning
Cumin, ground
Thyme, Sage, Rosemary, Paprika, Dill
Chipotle powder, Ceyenne, Chinese Five Spice
Basil, Italian Seasoning Herb Blend
Garlic and Herb blend…………………………. like Mrs. Dash or Kirkland Parsley Patch
Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg, Ginger
FOOD ITEMS
Jif peanut butter
Pacific Natural Foods Organic Chicken Broth….packaged in a box, or homemade broth, none other
Pacific Natural Foods Tomato Soup…………….packaged in a box
Canned tomatoes, diced, pureed, crushed………Muir Glen, organic, read labels
Refried beans……………………………………vegetarian or no-fat, check store brands, read labels
Canned beans……………………………………black, pinto, kidney, red
Canned corn, green beans
Salsa……………………………………………..Herdez, read labels
Canned tuna, salmon, chicken…………………...in water and salt, no broth or protein
Canned pumpkin………………………………...not pie mix
Unsweetened natural applesauce
Potatoes………………………………………….white, russet, gold, red
Onions
Rice……………………………………………..long grain, unprocessed white (not Minute), brown, wild
Pasta
REFRIGERATOR
Ketchup
Brown mustard
Mayonnaise……………………………………..not Miracle Whip, read labels
Tabasco
Sour cream………………………………………real, whole, Daisy, Knudsens
Whole milk, Rice Dream rice milk
Real Butter………………………………………not margarine or substitute
Lemons………………………………………….not Realemon juice
Eggs
Carrots, Celery, Bagged shredded cabbage, Lettuce
FROZEN
Peas, peas and carrots, spinach, stir-fry vegetables, turnip greens, berries, broccoli, corn

6 comments:

Emily said...

From google reader I just read your Additive Avoidance Tips and they are awesome! I perfect description on how to get started with this way of life.

However the data on this page is missing on your blog (I can only see the title Additive Avoidance Tips, but the rest is missing).

Once you get the page back up, would you mind if I add a direct link to that page from my blog?

Thanks, Emily

Krista said...

Emily,
The Additive Avoidance Tips show up for me, so I will ask some other friends to check it out from their PC's and see if it comes up for them. Until then , I don't know what to tell you... it looks fine from here! I definitely want people to be able to read that section!

Anonymous said...

Krista;
Great research. I started reading the labels on my pantry. I had no idea. I had been reading labels but you opened my eyes to what I was missing. Thanks for the awareness and recipes.
Rich

Anonymous said...

Your website is very informative. Thanks you for all of your effort. I do have a conflict though. You suggest a Chicken Broth from Pacific Natural Foods. I checked the ingredients on their website and unfortunately they use Autolyzed Yeast Extract in their broth. This is another name for MSG.
Dee

Krista said...

I thought I would post the repy here, though, because it is important. Though Pacific Foods Chicken Broth does contain Autolyzed Yeast Extract, a big MSG ingredient, Pacific Foods Organic Chicken Broth does not. I have a box of the Organic in my fridge right now, so I checked immediately. This is a great example of my urging you to keep reading labels.
However, my mother still reacts to both of these brands, and makes her own broth from scratch (just boil a chicken, strain and save the broth). I do not react to either of these products, so I include them in these recipes, as this site is for finding convenience while avoiding harmful additives. I just cannot boil a chicken every time I need broth. I do get an almost immediate headache when I have a bowl of soup made with other broths, like Swanson. So I know, of the many products out there we use for convenience, this is a good one. Let your body tell you.
My mother also introduced me to Pacific Foods No Chicken Chicken Broth, a delicious vegetable broth she loves. Unfortunately, nobody sells it here in Cody. Look for it.
You can also always substitute water for recipes calling for chicken broth. You may need to season it a little more to taste. Of course, for gravy that would be gross, so try one of these products, or boil a chicken!
Thank you, Dee, for bringing that to my attention!

Heather said...

Hi,

I just found this blog after researching my own reactions to MSG (which I think are causing a lot of my symptoms). I wanted to thank you for posting the blog and recipes! I just have one comment - the above poster mentioned Pacific Organic Chicken Broth and I checked today at the store - they do still have Autolyzed Yeast Extract (At least where I was). However, there is a brand called Imagine that seemed to be safe. I'm going to use that at least for now; and see if Pacific recently changed their recipe.