11/01/2009

Inside Out BLT's


 When I was a kid, my favorite sandwich was a BLT. It's still up there, actually. These colorful babies are from Better Homes and Gardens. I made them for an after-homecoming party we had for my daughter's friends after the dance and they were a hit. I hid a couple for next-day munchies. Who needs a sandwich?

8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/3 c. finely chopped romaine lettuce
1 1/3 c. coarse soft bread crumbs
1/3 c. parmesan cheese
3 T. olive oil
8-10 roma tomatoes
mayonnaise
black pepper

Heat oven to 400. In large bowl, combine bacon, lettuce, crumbs, cheese, and olive oil. Mix well. Set aside
Halve tomatoes lengthwise and scoop out seeds with spoon. Brush inside each tomato half with mayo, then sprinkle with pepper.
Mound bacon mixture in tomatoes; transfer to baking pan, lightly greased.
Roast uncovered, 10-12 mins until toasted.  Makes 16-20 appetizers.

No comments: