10/27/2008

Huevos Rancheros (Ranch Eggs)

I have loved these ever since I was a little girl. I'm not sure how old I was, but we went to a Mexican restaurant and I ordered these. I remember the Hispanic waiter looking proudly at me. I was always up for something new.

1 can refried beans
3 T. mild salsa
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. salt
pinch sugar
4 eggs
4 tostada shells, or tostada-size tortillas
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
salsa
sour cream

If using soft, tostada-size tortillas, fry tortillas in a little oil until crisp. Set aside. In saute pan, gently mix beans, salsa, onion powder, salt, and sugar, over med-hi heat. Add a little water if thick. Make 4 "spaces" in the beans with a spoon, and break an egg in each hole. Sprinkle each egg with cheese. Cover and turn down heat to med-lo. Cook until eggs are done as desired (soft, medium, hard). With large spoon or spatula, lift section of beans and egg and slide onto tostada shell. Top with salsa and sour cream, if desired, and serve with fresh fruit.

No comments: