10/09/2008

Cranberry Orange Scones

One of the best investments I ever made was buying a breakfast cookbook called Beyond Oatmeal for my daughter for Christmas last year. I beg her to make me these tender, melt-in-your-mouth, lick your fingertips scones. She does.

2 c. flour
3 T. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1 tsp. orange zest
1 egg yolk. beaten
1 c. sour cream

In large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add cranberries and orange peel, tossing to coat. Gently make a depression in the center; set aside.

In small mixing bowl, combine egg yolk and sour cream. Do not overmix. Pour into depression in dry mixture. Using a slicing motion with a fork, stir all until combined (mixture may seem dry). Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough 10 - 12 times until smooth. Pat and roll dough into a 7" circle, leaving center of circle thicker. Cut into 12 wedges. Arrange wedges, 1" apart. on cookie sheet. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes.

Orange Glaze

1 c. powdered sugar
1 T. orange juice
1/4 tsp. vanilla

In small mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, orange juice, and vanilla. Add more orange juice, 1 tsp. at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Drizzle over warm scones and serve.

4 comments:

Gramma Spice said...

Do you think that your could use fresh cranberries if more sugar is added? I haven't found any dried cranberries that don't bother me...sulfites...what brand did you get? These sound so good.

Krista said...

I am sure you can use fresh cranberries. The berry texture would be different, softer, more like fresh blueberry muffins.
I have never had a problem finding dried cranberries without sulfites, so I am surprised, but you are so sensitive to them. I actually can't think of a time where they have had bothered me. I can't tell you what brands, but I will look and see. They don't discolor when they dry, so it isn't a "needed" ingredient. Sometimes they have vegetable oil and sugar added.
But try the fresh!

Shelli said...

I have never had problems with dried cranberries either, mom. I don't usually see sulfites listed in the ingredients, and I actually use them in salads all the time.
I am so proud of Chels for cooking and baking as much as she does. I need to get Rachel going on that! It would be so nice to be able to say...make me some of those! :)

Gramma Spice said...

I ate some from a bag of Sunkist brand that were a gift. I got so sick right away. I called the company, and they told me that the sugar on the label was high fructose corn syrup. I need to try some other brand, apparently. Thanks for the tips, sweeties! :)