9/16/2008

Chili Con Carne

I love chili, and it was one of the things I missed from a can. But, I was raised on the homemade stuff, and I love this rich, deeply flavored recipe. It took years to perfect. We like ours with a dollop of sour cream... my kids laugh when I say dollop.

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2-3 T. chili powder
1 tsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. onion powder
2 (16-oz.) cans diced or crushed tomatoes
1 (24-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (24-oz.) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
*1/8 tsp. chipotle chile powder for more heat

In soup pot over MED HI heat, cook and stir ground beef, onion, celery, green pepper until beef is browned. If desired, spoon off grease. Stir in chili powder, cocoa, salt, sugar, cumin, onion powder, and tomatoes. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 20-30 minutes. Stir in beans and heat through. Simmer until desired consistency, longer for thicker chili. Serve with CORNBREAD.

No comments: